Web design mistakes can in most cases be quite easy to avoid when you know what to avoid. Does any of this sound familiar?
“You built your web site ages ago and you’re ready to start dealing with your customers and bringing in the big bucks. So why isn’t anyone coming?”
This is a question asked by thousands of web site owners every day. The simple answer is: “You’ve made a mistake in website design or promotion”. Use these Top 10 Mistakes to get yourself, and your web site, on the road to recovery:
- Keywords and Phrases can cause you problems in two major ways: having too many keywords on a page or having too few. These days it is best to keep the number low, but make it clear to the reader what the article is about by using keywords that are relevant to your article and the website.
- Meta Tags are a subject of great debate among designers and developers. The two that all agree on are the title tag and the description tag. Do not leave them out. They make it easier for search engines to crawl and collect information.
Content is the number one draw for web sites and search engines and the number one mistake people make in website promotion is posting bad quality content. Site content is not just about using keywords to attract the search engines. It’s about the keywords and the rest of the words and how they are put together and whether this content is useful to the visitor. Bad content may even get you dropped from search engines. Good content is:
(a) professionally written,
(b) relevant to your site
(c) kept up-to-date.
- Navigation Links should be one of your considerations when you’re dealing with web site optimisation. The links are the text or images that allow you to navigate the website. If your links don’t work or go to an irrelevant location, visitors will stop searching your site for information and lose interest completely. A good linking structure is important when trying to rank well in Google in particular. Bad links may also get you dropped from search engines.
- Web site design affects every web site, whether the owners know it or not. If your site is poorly designed, is hard to navigate or takes too long to load, search engines may skip over you and users will do the same.
- Unethical SEO website promotion, also known as Black Hat SEO Techniques, will get your site banned from most major search engines especially Google. These include invisible text, keyword stuffing (refer to bullet 1), bad redirects and many other unethical practices. It may raise your ranking, but if it seems sneaky, the chances are that it is, don’t do it.
- Avoiding spiders is a mistake that many people make because they think that spiders are stealing contact or private information. There are other better ways to protect your content and contact information. Spiders are used by search engines to “put your site on the map”. They crawl your website and index the pages accordint to its content and quality etc. Hide from them and you’re hiding from your customers.
- Using images as headings is a huge SEO mistake because even though they may look good, using images instead of header tags removes the all important h1, h2 etc, tags that aid in website ranking.
- A bad URL is the equivalent of a sinking ship in the ocean. You should try to include keywords in your URL to increase your ranking. If you use WordPress you may have noticed that the default setting for URL creation is not very readable, memorable or relevant to your content. But, the settings on it are easily changed. If you are building a website yourself just make sure you name your files with relevant keywords.
- Doing it yourself, if you are not a professional or not well-versed in web site marketing, can leave you without page rankings and without visitors. It is always better to pay to have it done properly.
Remember, web sites are now available to everyone, which means you have even more competitors to battle for the #1 ranking on search engines. It’s important to avoid mistakes and make your web site the best it can be from the start.